Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sketchbot 3d Prototype - Pieces Finally Arrive!





The Sketchbot 3d printed pieces FINALLY arrived this afternoon. (mental note - USPS "Priority" is an oxymoron)

I am extremely happy with the quality and detail of these! They do require some additional cleanup, and after about an hour of wet sanding to remove the very slight remnants of layering and micro-scratches, they are rock smooth.

The pieces all have a snug fit, though, the more I've been playing around with it, the looser the connections are becoming.

I won't be able to generate molds from this until sometime next week, so please marvel at these photos to tide you over until the next phase begins. :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve - those pieces look amazingly smooth. Any chance of some even closer macro shots?

I've been watching the updates on 3dpro. The design looks great - really impressed with how neatly it's all coming together.

Steve Talkowski said...

Thanks Alan! I'll try to take some better Macro shots tomorrow in day light. I'm really happy with the results thus far myself. :)

Cushwa said...

Very cool, Steve.

l e d o said...

Man, those look awesome!!

Patrick Francisco said...

Nice photos. Can't wait to see these running around.

SpankyStokes said...

You live homie...I will get back to you about some question this weekend! this looks great...congrats on a job well done!

JonD said...

I just happened to stumble upon this blog randomly (Can't even remember how, haha), but I've got to say, the 3d model and the final physical object look very impressive!!

I'm curious though, about how much did it cost? I'm interested in someday sending some 3d models off to be printed, but have not even the slightest clue about the general price for something of that scale, can't even begin to guess...

Gonna check out the rest of the pics, nice job!!

William said...

wow that is sooo great .... where do you get them made? been looking for a place that would make some designs

colus havenga said...

kudos, this is so exciting!

Steve Talkowski said...

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback! I won't be able to start generating the molds until next Tuesday, so check back later in the week for a progress report. The price of the printing was surprisingly cheaper than I had thought. The 4" character, comprised of seven pieces, cost $340. Two factors that effect cost are the size of each piece and the material needed to print. I was happy to keep the price under $500.

Unknown said...

wow, I have been checking out your blog. I am really amazed that you can make your object into a toy. that is so cool.
I would not have a clue on how to go about the whole process, but am finding it extremely intriguing.
will have to keep checking back!
Nicole