Monday, July 7, 2008

Sketchbot Prototype Sculpt, Phase 4, Part II





I poured the 2nd half of the mold this afternoon, and after 4 1/2 hours of letting it cure it appears that it's still squishy in parts. As I feared, the top half is way too thin around the eye opening to hold a proper shape. You can even see the mold creased a bit and I've got an awkward line running through the upper front portion. Grrrr. Additionally, I think the foam core ended up being too flimsy for this size of a mold. I might have to start from scratch here. I just want to get this molded, because that Sculpey is already cracking and chipping in areas. Not a happy camper at the moment. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

SpankyStokes said...

Sorry this is not turning out like you would like it...but think about the experience you are getting...each time you do this process mistake percentage gets less and less. keep up the hard work...this is going to be great!

Steve Talkowski said...

Ok, after some consultation, all is not lost. I'm thickening up the top half with more mold compound, then will access the entire mold and undertake a positive pour. Thanks for the encouraging words John!